Our Maths Intention
At Mauldeth Road, it is our aim for children to enjoy Mathematics and become enthusiastic and engaged Mathematicians. We believe that it is important that children are confident and flexible problem solvers and can apply maths to everyday situations and contexts so that they become lifelong learners.
Our Maths Curriculum
We plan and prepare our maths curriculum so that:
- Pupils spend longer on key topics which allows for deeper understanding and embedded learning.
- Lessons are planned in a sequence of small manageable steps. This allows pupils to confidently grasp a concept before moving on.
- Progression is clearly evident within units and throughout the year.
- Concrete resources are used to ensure conceptual understanding.
- Pupils are taught fluency in the fundamentals of mathematics and can recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Pupils can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of unfamiliar contexts and real-life scenarios.
- Lessons give pupils the opportunity to reason mathematically using precise mathematical language.
Below are the key learning intentoins for each year group:
Your child will bring home a Maths Passport at the start of each year. The aim of these is to help your child to become increasingly fluent and confident with their number facts. To access the passport your child is on click the links below:
Here is our calculations policy. This shows the progression in calculations for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Here are some videos you may find useful to help you understand how calculations are taught using concrete resources.
Children from Year 1 up to Year 6 should have recieved a password to login to Mathletics and Times Tables Rockstars.
Times Tables Rockstars: https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student