Our Maths Intention
At Mauldeth Road, it is our aim for children to enjoy Mathematics and become enthusiastic and engaged Mathematicians. We believe that it is important that children are confident and flexible problem solvers and can apply maths to everyday situations and contexts so that they become lifelong learners.
Our Maths Curriculum
We plan and prepare our maths curriculum so that:
- Pupils spend longer on key topics which allows for deeper understanding and embedded learning.
- Lessons are planned in a sequence of small manageable steps. This allows pupils to confidently grasp a concept before moving on.
- Progression is clearly evident within units and throughout the year.
- Concrete resources are used to ensure conceptual understanding.
- Pupils are taught fluency in the fundamentals of mathematics and can recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Pupils can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of unfamiliar contexts and real-life scenarios.
- Lessons give pupils the opportunity to reason mathematically using precise mathematical language.
Below are the key learning intentoins for each year group:
Your child will bring home a Maths Passport at the start of each year. The aim of these is to help your child to become increasingly fluent and confident with their number facts. To access the passport your child is on click the links below:
Parent Support Booklets and Videos
In order to give parents and carers further support, there is a link to the school calculations policy. This will help parents and carers in understanding how the four calculations are taught and enable support to be given at home.
There are also some booklets which give a more detailed explanation of how formal written methods are taught.
Children from Year 1 up to Year 6 should have recieved a password to login to Mathletics and Times Tables Rockstars.
Times Tables Rockstars: https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student